· AAOU (Asian Association of Open Universities) is a non-profit organization of higher learning institutions which are primarily concerned with education at a distance, namely, education in which the systematic teaching and the communication between student and teacher or institution take place mainly by a variety of media.
· AAOU was founded in 1987 by a number of open universities in the Asian region who realized the significant contribution of distance education in democratizing the provision of learning opportunities to mankind.
· The AAOU membership consists of Full and Associate members. There are 46 full members, 16 associate members and 2 individual supporting members (May 2010).
· AAOU members share a common belief that the development of distance education can be obtained through friendship and close exchanges among institutions of open higher learning.
· The AAOU Annual Conference, hosted in turn by different member institutions, is a stimulating forum for all those associated with open and distance learning in Asia, particularly academics, administrators and students.
· It provides a focal point for bringing everyone up to date on the issues, ideas and developments in the field of open distance learning in the region.
· The increasing presence of delegates from outside Asia demonstrates the prestige of the AAOU annual conference as a forum for academic exchange among international open and distance learning practitioners.
· In January 2008, the AAOU Secretariat has moved to Universitas Terbuka (UT) in Jakarta, Indonesia from CCRTVU in Beijing, China.
· Prof. Dr. Atwi Suparman, Rector of Universitas Terbuka, Indonesia has been elected as the new President of AAOU. The Vice Rector for Academic Affairs of Universitas Terbuka, Prof. Tian Belawati, has been appointed by the President of AAOU to fill the position of the Secretary General of AAOU.
· The date of the AAOU Annual Conference 2008 was 14-16 October, 2008 in Tianjin, China. The Annual Conference hosted by Tianjin Radio & TV University, China. The main theme of the 22nd AAOU Annual Conference has been set as “The New Development, New Trends and New Missions of Open and Distance Education in Asia and the World”. The venue was staged at Tianjin Grand Hotel, Tianjin, China.
· The date of the AAOU Annual Conference 2009 was 3-5 November, 2009 in Tehran, Iran. The Annual Conference hosted by Payame Noor University, Tehran, Iran. The main theme of the Conference was "Evaluation of Open and Distance Learning Systems".
· On 26 October 2010, the Annual Meetings of the AAOU took place in
Hanoi-Vietnam, has successfully designated his new leaders. Professor Wong Tat Meng, the Chancellor of Wawasan Open University (WOU), Malaysia was elected as AAOU President for the Period of 2011-2013.
· In addition, 6 (six) universities have been elected to serve as AAOU Executive Committee (EC) for the same period. Those universities are the Open University of Hong Kong (OUHK) and Open University of China (OUC) representing China & Far East Asia Region, the Open University of Japan (OUJ) and Korea National Open University (KNOU) representing the region of East Asia, Open University of Malaysia (OUM) and Hanoi Open University (HOU) representing South-east Asia region.
· At the same time, two Co-op members of the AAOU Executive Committee (EC) were entrusted to the Symbiosis Center for Distance Learning (SCDL) representing South Asia region, and the Payame Noor University (PNU) for West Asia region. In the meantime, Universitas Terbuka (UT) will act as Immediate Past President of the AAOU EC for the same period.
Payame Noor University Role
· Membership in Executive Committee and participation in Executive Board Meeting
· Hosting the "10th AAOU Annual Conference", 1996
· Hosting the "23rd AAOU Annual Conference", 2009
· Participation in AAOU Annual Conferences
· Participation in Executive Board Meeting 2010 and voting for nomination of AAOU President and members of Executive Committee for the Period of
1999-2001, 2008-2010 and as a co-opted member of 2011-2013
· Conducting Proposal in nomination for AAOU Meritorious Service Award 2010
· Conducting AAOU Inter-University Staff Exchange Fellowship Program 2010
· Conducting AAOU Task Forces such as:
· AAOU Young Innovator Awards Task (A-YIA)
· AAOU Quality Assurance Task Force (A-QA)
· AAOU Quality Assurance Framework Delphi Questionnaire 2010
· AAOU Standard Accreditation Agency (A-SAA)
· AAOU Shared Curriculum for Master Program in Management of Open and Distance Education (A-CMODE)
· AAOU Publication Copy Right (A-PCR)